JOB TITLE: Art Technician
DEPARTMENT: Visual Arts Department
SUPERVISOR: Head of Art
To support the art departments including the Head of Art, the art teachers, and the art students. Being skilled and knowledgeable in the preparation of materials, and having an excellent understanding of fine art techniques, materials and processes is essential. Above all the Art Technician will be an enhancement to the safe and successful delivery of the art curriculum.
Wellington College China schools are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Assessment and testing of applicants’ suitability to work with children is an integral part of the selection process.
• Supporting the art teachers within their academic lessons and co-curricular activities.
• Preparation of materials for lessons as informed by the art teachers.
• Monitoring & maintaining stock: sourcing, ordering, and sampling. Being responsible for the organisation of the art storeroom.
• Maintenance and upkeep of the art rooms, including the supply of materials and equipment.
• Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all tools, equipment, and machinery from a health and safety perspective and to raise any concerns with the Head of Art
• Display and rotation of Artwork in the art department and around college.
• Support with exhibitions and art events
• To assist with the planning and running of school trips and excursions
• Liaise with other school departments and external agencies as required to meet the needs of the art department.
• Maintain good communication with the art teachers and Head of art and to attend regular art department meetings.
• Build strong reports with students and to uphold the school safeguarding policy.
CARE AND WELLBEING OF CHILDREN
Ensure each child has a sense of belonging within the within the atelier.
Maintain the highest standards of care, child protection and safeguarding at all times by upholding the 3Ps: Protection, Provision and Participation as outlined in UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Understand the importance of building authentic relationships with families, knowing such understandings can lead to greater learning outcomes for children.
Communicate with families and the wider community about the atelier and the arts program, including presentations, workshops, through online platforms and parent meetings.
• Model and promote Wellington Values: kindness, courage, integrity, respect and responsibility in the aim of enabling the Wellington Identity: inspired, intellectual, independent, individual, inclusive
• Commit to regularly collaborating with the early childhood team to understand and extend children’s theories, thoughts, ideas and questions.
• Have a willingness to learn about pedagogical practices that may be unfamiliar.
• Attend all team meetings and committees as necessary and take on portfolio responsibilities within the team. Adhere to all procedures and policies as outlined in the Staff Handbook.
• Reliable and friendly
• Adaptable and flexible
• Positive approach
• Team orientated
• Knowledge and experience of and passion for Art
• Skilled in practical multi-tasking
• Practical problem-solving
• Interest in working within an educational environment and with children and young people
• Empathy, care, understanding of the importance of mindfulness, wellbeing & resilience.
• Strong IT skills
• A desire to help the Art Department team achieve its goals.
• Discreet and able to maintain confidentiality.
• Diplomatic in relation to others
• Ability to remain calm and focused when under pressure.