- Address 8 Kehua Road, Shenzhen, China
Position: Associate Division Head, Grades 10 -12
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: July 2023
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, project-based, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
In 2018, we launched our Shenzhen campus, bringing our popular early childhood program from New York to China’s southern hub of innovation. Today, we are thrilled to have expanded our campus to serve students from two to18 years of age.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
On any given day, Avenues students might be building a 3D printer, in China, with peers from around the world. Or constructing a tiny house as they learn about sustainability. Or putting on an original TEDx conference as part of a Mastery project. Our schedule, designed for creative collaboration and inquiry-based learning, allows faculty to design deep learning experiences for students. Associate Division Heads are Avenues leaders dedicated to directly supporting the success, growth and impact of our talented, diverse, and world-wise faculty.
Avenues seeks a daring, future-wise educator, whose personal mission aligns with ours, to join us as an Associate Division Head (ADH). The ADH will join a talented leadership team who ensure that the Avenues secondary division is an extraordinarily engaging place to work, a laboratory of deeper learning for all, and a thriving community.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
As Associate Division Head, you will:
- Ensure and support faculty success: the teachers you lead feel deeply engaged and effectively supported to impact students, develop professionally, and thrive
- Nurture teachers’ engagement: faculty consistently feel trust, connection, belonging, and clarity, leading to a deep sense of engagement and fulfillment
- Support teachers’ impact: faculty produce transformational student learning while growing and developing professionally
- Be a divisional and organizational leader, serving in a leadership team with shared ownership for the success of the division and of Avenues as a whole.
- Enable innovation, by nurturing an environment in which faculty take risks and improve on existing practices
- Drive deep student learning, guiding faculty to create authentic, inquiry-oriented learning experiences, while meeting each student’s individual needs
- Nurture a thriving culture of trust, learning, innovation and shared purpose among the whole community of adults and students
- Help build exceptional teams of faculty through effective coaching, feedback, hiring and assessing faculty growth and impact
- Collaborate intensively with diverse colleagues – such as deans, faculty, other ADHs, and others – to effectively support Avenues students and the community
- Lead projects, take on new challenges, and generally be an “all-in” leader who’s in this to create a whole New School of Thought
WHAT YOU BRING
You bring all or most of the following:
- Superb ability as a teacher, and a deep understanding of high-quality instruction in grades 6-12; expertise in inquiry-driven and interdisciplinary teaching is a great asset
- Instructional leadership skills, to guide teachers to grow in their teaching and create deeper learning for students
- Management ability, to lead teams in which teachers are engaged in their work, constantly growing and accomplishing great things together
- Unparalleled zeal for transforming education, and for changing the world through it
- An innovative, problem-solving approach, including in ambiguous situations that require figuring out new solutions rather than following established paths
- Intellectual curiosity and mindset of continuous learning and growth
- Skillful at working across lines of difference in an intercultural team
- Professional fluency in English; Mandarin Chinese is a plus
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.