KS3 Science and IGCSE Biology Teacher (Junior High)
Head of Science
POSITION IN ORGANISATION
Accountable to the Head of Science and the Head of Junior High and Senior School
To contribute to maintaining high standards of pupil achievement and attainment in
Science by teaching excellent lessons and working to achieve whole school and
departmental development targets within Grade 6 to Grade 10.
The successful candidate will play a key role in the development of Science at
Wellington College in Hangzhou. The College is looking for a candidate who would
relish the challenge of establishing the subject in a new school.
• To have high expectations of all pupils based on relevant data.
• To teach using a variety of delivery methods which will stimulate learning,
meeting the demands of the curriculum and through scaffolding and objectives
ensure that the needs of all pupils are met.
• To maintain discipline in accordance with the college’s policies and encourage
good practice with regard to punctuality, behaviour and standards of work.
• To assess pupils’ work in line with school policies and procedures referring to
pupil performance targets.
• To contribute to the development and implementation of the subject’s strategic
• To attend and contribute to all staff and subject meetings.
• To use data, both externally and internally produced, to assess pupil
performance and to develop appropriate courses of action.
• To review methods of learning and teaching on a regular basis.
• If asked, to be a form tutor to an assigned group of pupils.
• To register students and notify the designated safeguarding lead immediately
about any concerns relating to a pupil.
• To participate in the college’s professional learning program and continue
personal development in the relevant areas especially subject knowledge and
• To attend all Curriculum, Parent Teacher Conferences and other such academic
or pastoral events.
• To ensure effective monitoring and communication with parents regarding
academic progress both in line with school reporting procedures and in response
to specific concerns as they arise.
• To undertake duties as detailed in the staff Duty Rota.
• To comply with the current policies and procedures of the College.
• To display the Wellington Values at all times, either in school or in the wider
• To assess, record and report on the attainment, attendance and progress of
pupils keeping such records as are required.
• To provide or contribute to oral and written assessments, reports and
references relating to individual or groups of pupils.
• To prepare and update subject materials, including schemes or work.
• To assist in the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of
work and teaching strategies.
• To plan and prepare sequences of lessons to show progress over time.
• To produce interim and annual reports for all pupils taught in line with the
College’s Teaching and Learning Policy.
• To maintain excellent communication with parents.
• Mentoring a pupil, trainee teacher or teaching assistant as appropriate.
• To engage actively with the College’s performance review surveys