- Address 8 Kehua Road, Shenzhen, China
Position: Building Substitute
Location: New York, NY
Start Date: August 2022
WHY WORK AT AVENUES?
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, create a unique educational experience together.
The Lower Division building substitute at Avenues: The World School provides seamless care and support for children, Grade 1-5, when their regular classroom teacher is out for short or long periods of time. In addition to providing coverage, this role will provide support in short and long term projects that contribute to the success of the Lower Division in implementing some of the unique and innovative aspects of our program including “JTerm”, “Colleague Care” and division specific projects surrounding our immersion program. This is an 11 month (August – June) full time position for someone who wants to work in a highly collaborative teaching environment and is looking to gain valuable experience in an immersion setting. You will join a talented team of building substitute teachers who ensure that our students learn and deeply engage in school life while their teacher is out.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn’t a buzzword: it’s woven into everything we do. Teams of English and Spanish or Chinese teachers share two classes of students, collaborating to nurture their students’ social, emotional and academic growth
Avenues students will graduate fluent in a second language and at ease beyond their borders. To this end, in the younger grades, students alternate days between English and Spanish or Chinese classrooms.
- Serve as a head substitute teacher when teachers are out on a short or medium term basis.
- Teach and implement lesson plans as directed by the original classroom teacher. In the event there are no lesson plans, you will collaborate with the Associate Division Head to develop plans for the interim.
- Provide lunch and/or recess coverage on an as needed basis
- Ensure student engagement and appropriate behavior within the classroom and school environment
- Collaborate with supervisor to ensure you are contributing to the success of children and the division through your daily assignments
- Maintain an environment of welcome, safety and respect amongst students and colleagues.
- Follow all school policies, practices, and procedures
- Ensure the safety, health and wellbeing of students
- Oversee regular classroom and school rhythm and activities
- Fulfill project work (ex: “J term”, “Colleague Care”) on an as needed basis
- Fully update teacher upon return from absence
- Participate actively in ongoing professional learning
- Student teaching or equivalent experience with children in grades 1-5
- Solid understanding of balanced literacy approach
- Deep dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Superb ability to collaborate with colleagues to achieve goals
- “Whatever it takes” mindset
- Fluency in Mandarin or Spanish a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Make sure to include a very thoughtful cover letter with your application explaining how you meet the criteria.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.