- Grade Level Primary, Middle, High
- Discipline Language, Writing & Culture
- Address Wycombe Abbey School Hangzhou, Hangzhou, China
Salary: Competitve Salary; Annual Bonus; Accommodation and housing provided; International Insurance
Job type: Full Time, Fixed Term
Start date: 1st August 2024
Apply by: 1 May 2024
About the School
Wycombe Abbey School Hangzhou is a K-12 Coeducational Bilingual British style boarding and day school in Hangzhou, China. There are currently around 600 pupils on roll. The school opened in 2021. The school is an Accredited Member of COBIS and a member of the BSA.
Kindergarten follows the EYFS curriculum and from Year 2 to Year 10 there is an integrated curriculum. Pupils take IGCSE and A Level examinations in the Upper School.
Wycombe Abbey Hangzhou is one of three Wycombe Abbey Schools in the mainland of China, there is also a school in Hong Kong. The ‘mother’ school is Wycombe Abbey Uk.
The school is located about 30 minutes from the centre of Hangzhou. Hangzhou is the 4th largest city in China with a population of about 10 million. The 19th Asian Games took place in Hangzhou in September 2023. Hangzhou is one of the ancient capitals of China and has been a commercial and cultural centre since the 6th Century CE. Famous for its silk industry and the tourist attraction West Lake, the city is now a bustling tech hub. The HQ of Alibaba is based in the city. It is a modern forward looking and cosmopolitan city.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking to recruit a highly motivated English Language and Literature teacher, to help the school through the next period of exciting development. The role would ideally start from August 2024 onwards.
In the role of English Language and Literature teacher, you will be responsible for working with the academic team.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrable track record of outstanding teaching experience, preferably with experience in British style international schools.
This is a perfect opportunity for an Educator wanting to experience all the wonders of China and Asia, alongside the opportunity to shape the delivery of international education at a high-quality education establishment. As a relatively small school setting, it would suit an ambitious and experienced Educator seeking to develop.
To find out more about us please take some time to look at our website. Interested candidates should also download the job profile and person specification for greater detail.
About the Person
- Your professional profile is defined by integrity, clear and open communication, high standards, and an understanding of the needs and interests of pupils, parents and staff.
- Your personal profile enables you to act as an ambassador for the school. You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and relate positively to pupils, staff and parents, inspiring them with confidence in the school.
- You have the ability to analyse problems, reach sound conclusions and resolve issues effectively. You have a proven capacity to respond to changing needs, and to translate vision into practical reality. You have a strong commitment to quality and sharing best practices in learning and teaching.
- You have a good understanding of, and interest in developing academic best practices in the context of a secondary, cross-cultural institution.
- You have a working knowledge and understanding of departmental planning and reporting. You have a higher-level understanding of and experience using information and communication technology to enhance teaching and learning.
- You have an interest in and willingness to engage Chinese contemporary culture. You enjoy working under pressure in a fast pace environment. You are optimistic, resilient, and have a well-developed sense of proportion and humour.
Benefits of working for Wycombe Abbey Group
Wycombe Abbey Group is a small but ambitious group of schools educating some 2500 pupils in China and HK. Plans are well developed for an expansion into the Far East and South East Asia. Key reasons to work at a Wycombe Abbey School include: Opportunities to collaborate with colleagues across China and Asia, Enhanced professional development and opportunity for career development and movement within the group.
The Process and how to apply
Applications should be submitted by email and should include a CV along with a letter of application, detailing how you feel your skills and experience meet those contained within the role profile. You should also include the names and email contacts of three referees, one of whom must be your current or most recent employer.
Closing date for applications is 1st May 2024
Initial selection interviews with qualified candidates will take place virtually on a rolling basis as applications are received.
Safeguarding – Wycombe Abbey School Hangzhou is committed to safeguarding children and young people. As part of the school’s commitment to safeguarding, all post-holders are subject to background checks and will be required to present either a DBS certificate alongside a current update from the DBS service, or an International Child Protection Certificate administered by ACRO https://www.acro.police.uk/icpc/ (if ever worked or lived in the UK).
The successful applicant will also be required to present the background checks outlined above, along with original and notarised copies of their qualifications.
Further details of job responsibilities are available at attached documents.
Full details of our school are available at www.waisgc.com.
Any queries should be forwarded to the Head of HR: Ms. Euroda Wan (firstname.lastname@example.org).