- Address 8 Kehua Road, Shenzhen, China
Position: English Teacher, Secondary Division(Grade10-11)
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: August 2023
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Shenzhen opened in August 2018, our first campus in China. Avenues Shenzhen provides a unique early childhood program, and is now expanding to serve students in all grades from grades from toddler through 12. Avenues Shenzhen furthers Avenues’ longstanding commitment to developing multiple campuses in China, providing a transformative, world-focused education.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
English classes in the secondary division focus on students’ holistic language development. In their project work, students focus on content such as discussions of Charles Mann’s The Wizard and the Prophet or explaining the design of a mechanical clock. In their English classes, students focus on gaining the nuts of bolts of effective English communication in speaking, discussion, reading, and writing. The project classes and English classes are tightly interwoven. As an English Teacher you will:
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes, by differentiating and scaffolding instruction to address individual needs
- Curate rich instructional materials that align with a communicative approach to language learning
- Provide learning-focused feedback on students project work and writing
- Collaborate intensively and daily with colleagues to design learning outcomes, monitor growth, and thoughtfully address individual student needs
- Deeply connect with students, colleagues and parents to uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Invoke a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to value being at school and feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
- Participate actively in ongoing, intensive professional learning
WHAT YOU BRING
- Professional fluency in English, with experience teaching literature, writing, reading, and oral communication to English Language Learners*
- A strong ability to develop upper grades students into passionate, curious and skillful readers, writers, and communicators in English
- A deep understanding of how language learning takes place and ability to apply it in practice
- A strong entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition
- A strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
- Profound commitment to ensuring and nurturing children’s wellbeing
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree in education or related field is ideal
*We will consider applications from non-native English speakers who have the professional fluency to be effective teachers of English as a second language.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email [email protected] .
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.