English Teaching Assistant
Reporting to the Head of English, the post-holder will assist teaching staff as
required during the school day. This may include delivering learning to small
groups within the classroom or offering one to one support under the guidance
and supervision of teachers. To offer help to class teachers as required. This may
involve working with children, supervising activities.
• Have knowledge and understanding of the curriculum at a level which will assist
effective teaching of basic skills.
• Strive to become increasingly effective in developing pupils’ language, reading, and
• Assist in the educational and social development of students under the direction
and guidance of the class teacher.
• Provide support for individual students inside and outside the classroom to enable
them to fully participate in activities.
• Support clear expectations of pupils’ behaviour and assist in securing appropriate
standards of discipline.
• Play a key role in the safe supervision of students at breaks, lunchtimes and
movement around the school.
• Help to create and maintain a purposeful, orderly and supportive environment for
pupils to learn in.
• Be able to maintain pupils’ interest and motivation.
• Present learning tasks and curriculum content in a clear and stimulating manner.
• Be able to work with pupils individually and in groups, and contribute to decisions
about the most appropriate learning goals and teaching strategies.
• Use a range of supporting techniques considering, in consultation with teachers,
how best to deploy them.
• Communicate clearly and effectively with children through questioning, instructing,
explaining and feedback.
• To regularly assess the pupils’ work by means of formal and informal termly/half
• To communicate with parents on a regular, informal, professional basis and to deal
with day to day queries.
• To keep records pertaining to the children taught e.g. reading records and to ensure
that these records are shared with colleagues and available for inspection by
members of the School Leadership Team.
• To be involved in developing, implementing and monitoring subject policy and to
assist in the necessary documentation pertaining to that subject where required.
• To ensure that the pupils’ work is displayed and presented to the very highest
standard in the classroom and throughout the school.
• To participate where required in Staff Development and to attend staff meetings
and briefings. Regularly engage in professional development opportunities and
take pride in one’s own learning.
• To assist teachers with the resourcing of the subjects taught. Produce high quality
resources and materials to support students’ learning.
• To support the school development plan so far as it relates to the subjects taught
and the continuing improvement of premises and accommodation.
• To assist where required activity or activities to enrich the learning experience for
the pupils. These activities to take place outside of the prescribed teaching hours
as reasonably directed by the Senior Leadership Team.• To understand and follow all safeguarding procedures being alert to any neglect or
• To undertake school duty activities outside of the classroom as directed by the Senior
• To undertake all reasonable requests made by the Senior Leadership Team.
• Holder of Bachelor Degree, Chinese teaching certificate
• Majored in English or related subjects
• Native Chinese speaker and fluent in English
• Support Huili Values
The applicant should have experience of:
• working with children within the primary age range.
In addition, the applicant might have experience of:
• working in a bilingual setting,
• working outside of the PRC
• Be able to assess pupils’ interests, needs and developments
• Be able to develop curriculum
• Open, proactive, patient and caring
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• International and bilingual school working experience is preferred
• Cross-cultural working experience is preferredPlease submit CV and cover letter, together with an application form
(available to download from www.wellingtoncollege.cn/careers) in English and email to
Please note that any application with missing materials will not be considered.
Wellington College Shanghai is totally committed to safeguarding the welfare of children
and young people and expects the same from its employees. All new staff will be subject
to enhanced pre-employment clearance, including identity checks, criminal background
checks, qualifications checks and employment checks to include an exploration of any
gaps in employment.