- Qualification Bachelors
- Salary Offer CNY 22-30k/month USD CNY 22-30k/month Month
- Grade Level Middle, High
- Discipline Language, Writing & Culture
- Address Haikou, Hainan, China
The Affiliated High School of Peking University Haikou is a Chinese private high school that is co-ed and covers grades 9 through 12. It is located in the Haikou,Hainan, Xiuying District. Our mission is to deliver a college preparatory curriculum for students who will attend universities outside of China in the US, UK, Asia, Canada, and Australia.
Our school is unlike any other in China and around the world. Our academic program is bilingual and informed by world-class frameworks, but not bound to any. Many faculty have advanced degrees and we cherish faculty autonomy in the classroom to decide what should be learned. Class size is relatively small and class-time is comparatively less to encourage meaningful personalization of learning, both in and beyond the classroom setting. Solving problems and communication feature prominently in our curriculum. We prioritize experiential learning and acquisition of advanced research methodologies.
The International Division empowers and supports our students. We provide opportunities for student- led courses and off-campus internships. We encourage academic excellence, intellectual passion, and an entrepreneurial spirit. We try to instill in our students a sense of public service, a capacity to achieve success, and to make a difference. As a faculty member of the International Division you will teach courses of your own design (informed by AP skills and concepts). We encourage faculty research, publication, and continuous professional development to serve as a model for our students to learn the value of intellectual creativity, risk-taking, and contributing to the social good.
The English Liberal Arts Department seeks an individual who can facilitate meaningful learning experiences, supervise independent research projects for high school students, and collaboratively lead. Candidates will possess a strong record of teaching in literature, writing studies, English as a second language, rhetoric, education, or a related filed. Candidates will demonstrate the ability to relate effectively to a wide range of people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
Key Teaching Responsibilities:
- 3-4 course with additional 8 office hours for student meetings per week
- Develop curriculum – from course syllabus through unit plans with reference to relevant
- AP skills and learning objectives
- Create engaging class experiences, differentiated to meet learning needs of all students
- Evaluate learning and track student growth
- Use student achievement data to design future lessons
- Contribute to the growth of the Independent Research program and the Writing Center
- Onboard the week before classes begin
- Chaperone week-long experiential learning trips inside and outside of China
Compensation and Benefits:
- Two-year initial contract, renewable
- Salary range is about 22.5k to 30k per month based on commensurate experience
- Sponsored and subsidized work visa
- Housing stipend
- Yearly home-visit flights
- Commercial health insurance
- Numerous in-house professional development opportunities and yearly stipend
Desired Qualifications, Experience and Interests
- Master’s degree in a field relevant and suitable to the English Liberal Arts Department—such as Technical, Professional, or Scientific Writing; Rhetoric and Composition; Education; or related field.
- Experience teaching Professional, Technical, or Scientific Writing courses.
- Experience working in writing centers and training writing center peer consultants.
- Knowledge of writing programs, WAC, digital and multimodal composition.
- Experience working with English Language Learners (ELL)
- Interest in teaching and developing English Liberal Arts core and elective curricula