- Address 8 Kehua Road, Shenzhen, China
Position: Great Works STEAM Teacher
Location: Avenues Online (fully remote; ability to work approximately 8am to 5pm British Standard Time)
Start Date: ASAP
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining a global curriculum based on language immersion and interdisciplinary learning with a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Available anywhere in the world with a wifi connection, Avenues Online was intentionally designed to foster deep, innovative learning with maximum flexibility. With its interdisciplinary, project-based curriculum especially written for both synchronous and asynchronous learning, its own proprietary learning platform, and an outstanding, collaborative global faculty, Avenues Online is establishing a new standard in online education. Our students reside in over 20 countries and bring their diverse cultural and geographic context and global mobility to their learning each day. From early childhood through 12th grade, our students learn online in order to be offline, applying their learning to their local contexts throughout the world. As at every Avenues campus, students are challenged to take ownership of their learning from a young age and to develop the critical and creative thinking skills necessary to understand and solve global-scale problems.
In Great Works, the core curriculum for toddlers to 12th grade, students collaborate on interdisciplinary projects in humanities and STEAM fields to make purposeful connections to past, present, and future global issues. A Great Books curriculum complements each unit of study. Students read and discuss curated texts which deepen their understanding of what they learn and bring to life the defining ideas of humanity. The result is a rare combination of academic depth and interdisciplinary breadth which guides students to make sophisticated connections between their coursework and the world around them. The person who fills this role will support Upper Division students as they explore the Great Works STEAM strand curriculum.
What You Will Do
- Serve as lead instructor for ~20 current Upper Division students (grades 6-12) located in time zones across Europe; additional students may join over the course of the academic year
- Lead one-on-one tutoring sessions and coach/facilitate collaborative lab sessions to support students through project-based integrated science curricula
- Ensure students achieve key learning outcomes and target instruction to address individual student needs
- Utilize all resources available to encourage the success of each student by considering engagement with the coursework, quality of contribution in lab sessions, preparation of individual work
- Co-construct with students an environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our values of welcome, safety, and respect
- Collaborate with other faculty and deans; practice cultural competence in both student and adult spaces
- Inspire trust and confidence among families through regular, proactive communication
- Contribute to the broader community of our Avenues Online campus and global network; participate in ongoing professional learning within AON community
Who are you?
- You must be available to lead synchronous sessions with students Monday – Thursday during regular working hours in British Standard Time (we are open to part-time interest as well!)
- You have several years of STEAM teaching experience and a track record of deep student learning
- You collaborate effectively with partner teachers. You listen deeply, ask great questions, and seek to understand when someone disagrees with you
- You believe learning STEAM is active not passive, and therefore must be structured in a way to make use of student voice, prior knowledge and experience
- You possess intellectual curiosity and the humility to reflect on, and continually grow in, your teaching practice
- You have a commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion
- You have a strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
- You have a bachelor’s or equivalent study in science or mathematics; graduate degree in education, teaching or a related field preferred
- You have experience using technology as a tool to communicate and collaborate with colleagues and enhance instruction; proficiency with delivering instruction via multiple platforms required (Examples: Google Suite, Apple operating systems, Zoom)
What We Offer
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple campuses around the world and the thrill of a start-up, all within an organization with global resources and supports, and a proven track record of results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric online learning platform in a highly collaborative environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning six continents
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website, www.avenues.org. Please include a thoughtful cover letter in your application.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.