- Qualification Bachelors
- Start Date Aug 1, 2022
- Salary Offer Competitive package USD Competitive package Month
- Grade Level Middle
- Discipline Science & Engineering
- Address China, Guangdong Province, 深圳市南山区
Position: iLab Coordinator – Design and Engineering (Middle Grades, Secondary Division)
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start: August 2022
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Shenzhen opened in August 2018, our first campus in China. Avenues Shenzhen provides a unique early childhood program, and is now expanding to serve students in all grades from grades from toddler through 12. Avenues Shenzhen furthers Avenues’ longstanding commitment to developing multiple campuses in China, providing a transformative, world-focused education.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Avenues: The World School is committed to the study of art, design and culture as part of every student’s education. Instruction in the visual arts and design teaches vital skills that help students express their ideas about themselves and the world around them. We consider every student to be an artist capable of making creative connections between a wide variety of art forms and their academic disciplines. Divergent thinking, perseverance and problem solving are woven into the arts curriculum to support students as they stretch themselves, expanding their understanding of who they are and what is possible. You will work with teachers across disciplines from science and mathematics to humanities and languages to develop project-based experiences for students that allow them to think and behave like artists, no matter their field.
This position is intended to develop student’s abilities in Design & Engineering, including the design thinking process of creation and prototyping a service or a product, design and making, and understanding the tools of a modern fabrication lab. We are seeking teachers with a strong background in design thinking and technical knowledge in a design or engineering field with a wide range of media and techniques in which they can engage students and foster learning across.
- Ensure that students grow dramatically in passion, understanding and skill (including teaching 1-2 design and engineering electives)
- Collaborate intensively with colleagues to make interdisciplinary connections that deepen student learning including working closely on project teams to leverage the iLab resources
- Creates model unit plans around design and engineering outcomes for use by all faculty
- Keep all ilab machines operational through proper maintenance, troubleshoots and repairs when possible, arranges service by outside technicians when necessary.
- Manage and track inventory, budget and equipment
- Maintain a clean, safe and organized environment (and model this for faculty and students)
- Stays up to date on emerging creative technology innovations
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Deep knowledge of, and an infectious passion for design, engineering and technology
- Experience teaching design and engineering for teenagers
- Strong organizational skills with a track record of managing supplies, equipment, resources and budgets (or related)
- A remarkable entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition
- Passion for working with young people as they learn, struggle, and grow
- Intellectual curiosity and humility, to reflect on and continually grow in teaching practice
- Full professional fluency in English
- A strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
- Track record of successfully collaborating with colleagues across disciplines
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply through CTJ online application. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.
* Please mention ChinaTeachJobs.com when submitting your application.