- Discipline Language, Writing & Culture
- Address Longhua District, Shenzhen, Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, China
To ensure that students with EAL are identified and supported in their English language acquisition, with the ultimate intention of ensuring that they are able to access the mainstream lessons.
To be an effective professional who demonstrates thorough curriculum knowledge, can teach, and assess effectively, take responsibility for professional development, and has students who achieve well.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Juniors EAL teacher has responsibility for supporting the EAL department in its development of the teaching of English as an Additional Language across the school. Experience of teaching the Cambridge English scheme is preferable.
- There will be a teaching responsibility for students ranging from Early Years – Year 6, other teaching will involve providing EAL students with general English and academic training and supporting their English language acquisition through other subjects. This may take the form of in-class support, or it may involve adapting learning materials in other subjects and using approaches specific to the needs of the EAL students concerned.
- The role may involve liaising with Admissions, marking entrance papers, and offering advice as to whether a student’s level of English is sufficient to cope within the school and where he/she should be placed on entry.
- As an intervention subject EAL needs are often closely linked to other learning support needs. It is expected that the Juniors EAL teacher will have an understanding of a range of learning support needs, will be up-to-date with best practice, and will work closely with teachers across different year groups to enable students to function to the best of their ability within the school.
- In addition, the post holder will undertake any other necessary duties which are related to the post, including but not limited to, presentations, events, policy development, parent liaison, and anything else required.
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified. Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
This job description may be reviewed at the end of the academic year or earlier if necessary. In addition, it may be amended at any time after consultation with you.
Applications are welcomed from candidates who meet the following requirements:
• A qualified teacher with a UK PGCE or other globally recognised teaching qualification (such as QTS).
• A minimum of 2 years’ qualified full-time teaching experience.
• A reflective practitioner, with a positive, resilient personality and problem-solving skill-set.
• Recent and consistent experience of Co-Curricular Activities
We welcome applicants with experience of working within boarding schools or applicants with a keen interest to participate, live and work within a boarding community. We appreciate that all applicants may not have such experience at present but we welcome applicants with the right approach to a unique part of the MIS experience.
The position will commence in August 2022, and the initial contract will be for a period of two years. Preference is given to candidates already in Mainland China.
Merchiston International School (MIS)
MIS is a British Boarding School located in Longhua District, Shenzhen, South of China. We are a thriving community that challenges all staff to push boundaries with their teaching and to be progressive in their own professional learning.
We offer an innovative British independent school curriculum for international students aged 4 – 18, starting in EYFS and culminating in IGCSE and A-level. The campus, imbued with the ethos of its founding school, Merchiston Castle School Edinburgh, is designed to create an innovative learning space in which an effective 21st-century education can flourish and inspire.
All MIS teachers are expected to participate fully in the school’s life beyond the classroom by contributing to the Co-Curricular Activities (CCA) programme and boarding house life.
If you are interested in joining us, to teach inquisitive and talented children, in a community that seeks to provide professional development opportunities, then please apply…we want to hear from you!
How to apply
Applicants should apply online through the TES careers portal. Please provide the names and full contact details of three professional referees, one of whom should be the Director/Head of School/Principal of your current school.
Short-listed candidates must be able to provide a recent DBS/PVG check, police clearance certificate, or similar record of non-criminality demonstrating that there is no reason why they cannot work with children.
The application should be submitted no later than Friday 29th April 2022.
Early applications are encouraged, as MIS reserves the right to appoint before the deadline.
Due to national regulations, it is very unlikely that we will be able to secure a work permit or visa for foreign nationals whose 60th or subsequent birthdays take place between August 1 2021, and July 31, 2022.