- Address 8 Kehua Road, Shenzhen, China
Position: Mastery Program Teacher, Grades 10-12
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: August 2022
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
In 2018, we launched our Shenzhen campus, bringing our popular early childhood program from New York to China’s southern hub of innovation. Today, we are thrilled to have expanded our campus to serve students from two to 18 years of age.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Mastery Program at Avenues guides each student to identify an area of personal interest and pursue their interest in great depth. To develop mastery of an area, students develop meaningful passion for something, seek out mentors, and organize a range of experiences that culminate in a long-term, customized project. The heart of mastery is intrinsic reward—the beautiful engagement of one’s passions in pursuit of excellence. Mastery is both a distinctive program unique to Avenues and a key learning experience shared by Avenues students around the world. As the Mastery Program Teacher, you will ensure that all students:
- Explore and experiment with their interests, leading to identifying and selecting an area of personal passion
- Pursue their chosen area in-depth for multiple years
- Produce a remarkable, unique capstone project or experience, and share it with the wider community
- Engage in small communities of peers dedicated to similar work
- Engage mentors inside and outside Avenues in support of the mastery project
You will also:
- Collaborate intensively and daily with colleagues to design learning outcomes, monitor growth, and thoughtfully address individual student needs
- Deeply connect with students, colleagues and parents to uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Invoke a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to value being at school and feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
- Participate actively in ongoing, intensive professional learning
WHAT YOU BRING
- Deep belief that each student has latent genius that can be tapped and developed through time and effort
- Teaching that engages students in meaningful, challenging inquiry, including in areas of personal passion
- Familiarity with research on creativity, deliberate practice and other areas relevant to the Mastery Program
- Skill at giving students meaningful, frequent feedback to help them deepen their learning
- Passion for working with young people as they learn, struggle, and grow
- Entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition
- Strong organization skills, to manage multiple projects with excellent follow-through and attention to detail
- Intellectual curiosity and humility, to reflect, welcome feedback, and grow in teaching practice
- Enthusiasm to support student-driven work within the Mastery team and throughout the organization
- Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree is ideal
- If not a native Chinese speaker with proficiency in English, must have native-level proficiency in English*
*Due to Chinese government regulations, English teaching positions in China may only be held by citizens of the US, UK, Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or other native English speaking countries.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.