View more 12 hours ago
- Address China
Hangzhou | Academic | English | Huili School Hangzhou
Head of Junior High/ Head of English
Huili School Hangzhou is seeking an experienced Keystage 3 and 4 English Teacher.
The KS3/4 English Teacher works in a Co-Teaching relationship with their international partner to provide education to the Junior High pupils based on the Wellington College philosophy and ethos. The teachers must support each individual pupil’s growth and development, encouraging them as Wellingtonians to be inspired, intellectual, independent, individual and inclusive. The teachers must demonstrate an understanding of the wider curriculum and administration needs of the school, and achieve high standards by responding professionally, sensitively and caringly to the needs of the pupils.
To assume responsibility for teaching KS3/4 and English, including IGCSE, in the college, under the direction of the Head of English and Head of Junior High and by following the Wellington College curriculum.
The successful candidate will play a key role in the development of the English IGCSE curriculum at Huili School Hangzhou. The College is looking for a candidate who would relish the challenge of establishing the subject in a new school.
The English teacher will have the responsibility for the planning and teaching of the subject to the designated class, the content of each lesson being determined by the School curriculum. The teacher will ensure that the subject is delivered in a way that provides coverage, progression and continuity by effectively working with an international teaching partner. The teacher will also be required to carry out other such duties as the Headmasters of School may reasonably direct from time to time. He/she is expected to display the highest standards of professionalism in his/her teaching and in his/her relationships with colleagues and parents.
The teacher must ensure that an excellent learning environment is provided for the learning of English, and that the students develop a positive attitude to the subject within the College. The teacher must present lessons in a structured and coordinated manner with due regard to the ability of the students and the curriculum targets of the year group.
TEACHING AND LEARING
• Contribute to the holistic well-being of all pupils and specifically to those assigned to your individual care.
• Make all students aware of the Wellington College Mission Statement, values and Identity base including the model of education, their values, aims, and display them in an innovative and informative fashion in the classroom and adjacent corridors.
• Undertake class management as a class teacher.
• Complete teaching plans on time and to a high standard through collaboration with an international co-teacher.
• Teach English lessons independently.
• Participate in co-planning meetings with international and Chinese teachers. Contribute ideas during discussions.
• Assess regularly the students’ work by means of formative and formal termly/half-termly assessments, as directed by the Head of Junior High. Communicate regarding any student whose progress or behaviour gives cause for concern.
• Monitor and evaluate constantly the effectiveness of your own teaching, maintaining good standards of practice and ensuring progression. Work collaboratively and effectively with an International teaching partner.
• Participate fully in the Staff Appraisal system, with classroom observation of colleagues and a willingness to be personally observed within the classroom. Submit books, records or planning as required for monitoring by colleagues.
• Be involved in developing, implementing and monitoring all College policies regarding English, and to assist in the necessary documentation pertaining to the subject, where required by the Head of Junior High.
• Assist with the resourcing of English and work with the Head of school in drawing up the annual order.
• Apply consistently and diligently the rules of the College in order to maintain discipline, standards of dress and to safeguard the happiness, safety and well-being of all students, to ensure that students know, understand and follow the College rules.
• Provide opportunities for the community to be involved in pupils’ and setting success.
• Make parents feel welcome and build good relationship with parents.
• Introduce information regarding to School English curriculum.
• Collect information of pupils’ interests and growth from parents.
• Stimulate pupils’ study by making use of parents’ strengths.
• Provide consultations and support to parents’ enquiries.
• Share students’ information provided by parents with co-teachers. • Communicate with parents on a regular basis, as directed by the Headmasters of School.
• Attend Parents’ Meetings as required and provide accurate, honest information regarding the progress of individuals in English.
• Report to the parents in the form of regular written reports, and when additionally required by the Head of English and Head of Junior High.
• Be positive and build good relationship with colleagues.
• Complete tasks assigned on time.
• Provide cover for absent colleagues as and when deemed necessary by The Head of English, Head of Primary and Head of Junior High.
• Play a full role in the weekly extra-curricular activities programme. The programme will take place outside of the prescribed teaching hours, as directed by the Head of English and Head of Junior High.
• Make a significant contribution to College assemblies, and newsletters, and by so doing highlight the work carried out by students in the subject.
• Promote an ethos of equality and equal opportunities for all pupils within the setting.
• Protect privacy of pupils, pupils’ families and colleagues.
• Maintain the highest standards of care, child protection and safeguarding at all times
• Emphasize the importance of safety and of safe methods of working in the classroom, and indeed in all areas of the College and the curriculum. Communicate to the students that they must take a responsible attitude to equipment and materials, with which they have been provided, and that they will be punished and possibly charged for damage inflicted upon College property.
• Carry out duties in the college as required and timetabled by the Head of Junior High. This will include playtime supervision, lunchtime supervision and afterschool supervision.
• Maintain, with the rest of the teaching staff, high standards of conduct both in and out of the classroom. Act always in a way that conforms to the College ethos and values, and is in the best interests of the students.
• Set high expectations and standards for the achievement of pupils and your personal performance.
• Contribute as fully as possible to the annual calendar of College events, in whatever way possible.
• Be familiar with the recent development of KS3/4 English language teaching theory and practice.
• Be familiar with the recent development of IGCSE First and Second language English teaching theory and practice.
• Improve yourself through continuous study and be willing to try new ideas.
• Be willing to accept others’ good ideas and share your opinions.
• Frequently reflect on your work and share your experience with the international teaching partner and other colleagues.
• Support the College Development Plan generally and in so far as it relates to English subject.
• Attend and participate fully in Wellington College Staff Development and INSET programmes.
• Attend staff meetings and briefings as and when required by the Head of English, and Head of Junior High.
Bachelor’s degree, teaching certificate and major in English Language and literature or related education majors.
Native English speaker
A minimum of 2 years working experience in teaching English from Key Stage 3 and 4
Knowledge of English Key Stage 3 and IGCSE English language teaching
• Be able to assess pupils’ interests, needs and developments
• Be able to develop curriculum
• Open, proactive, patient and caring
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• International and bilingual school working experience is preferred
• Cross-cultural working experience is preferred
To apply for an advertised post, please click APPLY
to complete the online application.
to complete the online application.