Secondary Mathematics Teacher
Department Head, Head of School
The secondary teacher works collaboratively with an international team to provide education to secondary pupils based on the Huili School philosophy and ethos. The secondary teachers must support each pupil’s growth and development, encouraging them to be inspired, intellectual, independent, individual and inclusive. The teachers must demonstrate an understanding of the school’s broader curriculum and administration needs and achieve high standards by responding professionally, sensitively, and caringly to the needs of the pupils.
In a school of this academic caliber, it is a pleasure to stimulate and inspire the students’ bright and alert minds. The Department members, therefore, employ various teaching methods to encourage the pupils to find success, enjoyment, and satisfaction in their studies. Interactive whiteboards support teaching in all Mathematics classrooms. Staff are expected to be ICT literate and are encouraged to develop their ICT skills.
Secondary teachers at the Junior High level work collaboratively to ensure an engaging and cohesive curriculum that blends the UK and Chinese curricula. All pupils are taught in mixed ability groups. The Cambridge International Examination is used at the IGCSE level, and all pupils are entered at the extended level. Last year, 100% of the students gained grades A* and A, with 72% achieving an A*. As well as preparing for IGCSE and IBDP, the Mathematics department also offers a wide range of extracurricular activities for the students. We give students the opportunities to participate in the United Kingdom Mathematics Trust (UKMT) Mathematical challenges, and we are a registered examination center for the American Mathematics Competitions (AMC).
We are looking for an outstanding practitioner who can deliver high-quality learning to our eager students. The ideal candidate will be professionally qualified and have experience giving Mathematics lessons to students at IGCSE or IBDP level.
Teaching and Learning
• Set consistently high expectations and standards for all pupils.
• Contribute to the holistic wellbeing of all pupils and specifically to those assigned to your individual care.
• Demonstrate and make all pupils aware of the Huili School vision statement, values and identity.
• Plan and deliver creative, engaging and well-planned lessons and units of work.
• Assess and report on pupil progress as per the school’s reporting calendar.
• Provide intervention, support and challenge to pupils in your care and liaise with department leads as required.
• Participate in curriculum meetings and pastoral meetings with international and Chinese teachers. Contribute ideas during discussions.
• Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of your own teaching, maintaining good standards of practice and ensuring progression.
• Participate fully in the staff appraisal system, with classroom observation of colleagues and a willingness to be personally observed within the classroom.
• Be involved in developing, implementing and monitoring all school policies. Provide opportunities for the community to be involved in pupils’ success
• Build and maintain positive and constructive relationships with parents.
• Present and share information regarding the curriculum.
• Share pupil information provided by parents with other teachers as required.
• Communicate with parents on a regular basis, as directed by the department head and the head of school.
• Attend parent meetings as required and provide accurate, honest information regarding the progress of individuals and how they can develop event further.
• Maintain the highest standards of care, child protection and safeguarding at all times.
• Remain positive, professional and build good relationship with colleagues.
• Complete tasks on time.
• Provide cover for absent colleagues as and when deemed necessary by the head of school.
• Play a full role in the weekly co-curricular activities programme.
• Make a significant contribution to school assemblies, WeChat articles and newsletters, and by so doing highlight the work carried out by pupils in the subject.
• Promote an ethos of equality and equal opportunities for all pupils within the setting.
• Protect the privacy of pupils, pupils’ families and colleagues.
• Maintain, with the rest of the teaching staff, high standards of conduct both in and out of the classroom. Act always in a way that conforms to the school ethos and values and is in the best interest of the pupils.
• Set high expectations and standards for the achievement of pupils and your personal performance.
• Contribute as fully as possible to the annual calendar of school events, in whatever way possible.
• Be familiar with recent developments in pedagogy and within your area of subject expertise.
• Approach task with a ‘can-do’ attitude and a willingness to take risks and try our new ideas and approaches
• Be willing to accept others’ good ideas and share your opinions.
• Support the School Development Plan generally and in so far as it relates to own area of expertise.
• Attend and participate fully in school staff development activities offered by the school and the Wellington College China group.
• Holder of Bachelor Degree, teaching certificate
• Majored in mathematics and other related majors
• Native English or Chinese speaker
• Support Huili Values
A minimum of 2 years working experience in teaching mathematics in junior high school or high school
• Knowledge of mathematics teaching
• Knowledge of IGCSE and IB DP Mathematics is an advantage
• Be able to assess pupils’ interests, needs and developments
• Be able to develop curriculum
• Open, proactive, patient and caring
• International and bilingual school working experience is preferred
• Cross-cultural working experience is preferred