Secondary Science Lab Technician
Head of Science
The science department at Huili School Shanghai aims to ensure that all pupils
develop a natural curiosity for the world around them by providing an outstanding
learning environment in which every student can succeed.
Science at Huili School Shanghai comprises of natural science, biology, chemistry
and physics. Lessons are supported by state-of-the-art equipment and are taught
in specialised laboratories for each subject. Science starts in grade one and is
taught during weekly natural science classes. Primary and secondary teachers
work collaboratively to ensure an engaging and cohesive curriculum. In Junior High,
students are taught a range of topics that blend the three main disciplines within
the framework of both the UK and Chinese curriculum. There is a strong emphasis
on investigative work to ensure that students are independent critical thinkers. At
IGCSE, students study either the triple science or the co-ordinated science
program. At IBDP, students will have the option to pursue biology, chemistry, or
physics at higher and standard level.
We are looking for an outstanding practitioner who can deliver high quality learning
to our eager students. The successful candidate will be well qualified and have
experience of teaching science to secondary pupils.
To assist science teachers in preparing science lab equipment and experiments.
• Preparation and assembly of apparatus and components for demonstration,
class practical work, assessments and examinations. To prepare solutions
• To ensure equipment and electrical connections, chemical solutions and
other materials are left/stored in a safe and secure condition, ready for re‐
• Where applicable, to undertake reprographic duties and routine ‘resource’
tasks, as determined by the needs of the Science Department.
• To assist in maintaining records of apparatus, reagents and materials,
including inventories and records of breakages.
• To inform the teacher in charge of stock to be replaced/ordered. To
pack/unpack and check apparatus and chemicals.
• Monitor and manage stock cataloguing resources and undertaking audits as
• Aid the department with purchases of consumables from local shops as
• To clean apparatus as directed and to clear out cupboards, drawers, etc. on a
regular basis to monitor contents and condition of stock. To assist with
stocktaking as required.
• The cleaning and maintenance of equipment and the neutralisation and
cleaning up of spillages, including the cleaning of glassware and other
• To contribute to safe working practice in preparation/storage/teaching areas.
Assessment of risks for technician activities.
• Advising staff on safety issues and trialing practical work where necessary.
• To assist in maintaining all safety equipment used by technicians, teaching staff
and students to the highest standard.
• To assist in the safe disposal of residues and outdated stock following approval
and advice from senior personnel. Ensuring the safe storage of radioactive
materials, chemicals and the disposal of chemical and microbiological waste.
• To ensure that any scientific debris or hazardous materials/spills are removed
from the sinks, bench tops and other areas to provide a safe environment for
cleaning staff and others. To deal appropriately with spillages during practical
• Helping to ensure that local government regulations are carried out in the
department and that the attention of staff is drawn to relevant health and safety
• Maintenance of laboratories and preparation rooms to ensure a clean, safe and
• Education: Bachelor’s degree.
• Major: Chemistry or Biology related.
• Language: Native Chinese speaker and conversational in English. Familiar
with terminology of the major and able to accurately express meanings
• Support Huili Values
A minimum of 2-year relevant experience.
• Outstanding communication in English and Chinese.
• Familiarity with handling chemicals.
• An understanding of the importance of safety in their work.
• Familiar with Office software
• International and bilingual school working experience is preferred.
• Ability to plan ahead and meet deadlines.
• Cross-cultural working experience is preferred.
• Demonstrating practice that represents the five core values of Wellington at all
times (courage, integrity, kindness, respect and responsibility).
• Strong passion for the education industry.
• Detailed-oriented and disciplined in time management.
• Warm, helpful personality.
• Strong mind-set for continuous improvement to meet or exceed expectationsPlease submit CV and cover letter, together with an application form
(available to download from www.wellingtoncollege.cn/careers) in English and email to
Please note that any application with missing materials will not be considered.
Wellington College Shanghai is totally committed to safeguarding the welfare of children
and young people and expects the same from its employees. All new staff will be subject
to enhanced pre-employment clearance, including identity checks, criminal background
checks, qualifications checks and employment checks to include an exploration of any
gaps in employment.