Secondary Social Studies (Economics)
Head of High School
The Social Studies Department at Huili consists of a variety of subjects. At IGCSE, students
have the option of taking history, geography, global perspectives, or economics, with the
majority of students choosing multiple courses due to the success of the department and Huili
students’ eagerness to study the humanities. The curriculum in Junior High School (KS3) is
unique, with students studying both the national curriculum in history and geography, and a
specially designed course ‘English Social Studies’ in which Huili students extend their
knowledge of key areas of history, physical and cultural geography, economics, and moral
philosophy, all while building the skills necessary for success at IGCSE and IBDP. This helps
them bridge the gap between the national curriculum and the international courses they take in
One of the key focuses of the department is to support students in developing 21st century
skills, including research, critical thinking, teamwork, communication, and reflection. Observers
of lessons in the department may see students passionately participating in team debates,
evaluating potential courses of action to global problems, or reflecting on how their life
experiences have influenced their views and how they might empathise with others who have
different perspectives. Although one of the goals of the department is to produce excellent
IGCSE and IBDP results, at the same time, we look to build in students the skills necessary to
be successful long after they leave Huili.
The department is looking for a professional and enthusiastic educator to teach Geography
and/or History to IGCSE and eventually at IBDP level. A candidate with experience in either
History or Geography as well as other areas of the social sciences is preferred. Additionally, the
department is looking for a collaborator who is both flexible and adaptable in their teaching
approach and has skills in co-planning as well as experience with teaching bilingual students or
students with EAL needs.
We are looking for an outstanding practitioner who can deliver high quality learning to our eager
students. The successful candidate will be well qualified and have experience of teaching social
studies subjects to secondary pupils.
Teaching and Learning
• Set consistently high expectations and standards for all pupils.
• Contribute to the holistic wellbeing of all pupils and specifically to those
assigned to your individual care.
• Demonstrate and make all pupils aware of
the Huili School vision statement, values and identity.
• Plan and deliver creative, engaging and well-planned lessons and units of work.
• Assess and report on pupil progress as per the school’s reporting calendar.
• Provide intervention, support and challenge to pupils in your care and liaise with
department leads as required.
• Participate in curriculum meetings and pastoral meetings with international and
Chinese teachers. Contribute ideas during discussions.
• Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of your own teaching, maintaining good
standards of practice and ensuring progression.
• Participate fully in the staff appraisal system, with classroom observation of
colleagues and a willingness to be personally observed within the classroom.
• Be involved in developing, implementing and monitoring all school policies.
• Provide opportunities for the community to be involved in pupils’ success.
• Build and maintain positive and constructive relationships with parents.
• Present and share information regarding the curriculum.
• Share pupil information provided by parents with other teachers as required.
• Communicate with parents on a regular basis, as directed by
the department head and the head of school.
• Attend parent meetings as required and provide accurate, honest information
regarding the progress of individuals and how they can develop event further.
• Maintain the highest standards of care, child protection and safeguarding at all
• Remain positive, professional and build good relationship with colleagues.
• Complete tasks on time.
• Provide cover for absent colleagues as and when deemed necessary by
the head of school.
• Play a full role in the weekly co-curricular activities programme.
• Make a significant contribution to school assemblies, WeChat articles and
newsletters, and by so doing highlight the work carried out by pupils in the subject.
• Promote an ethos of equality and equal opportunities for all pupils within the
• Protect the privacy of pupils, pupils’ families and colleagues.
• Maintain, with the rest of the teaching staff, high standards of conduct both in
and out of the classroom. Act always in a way that conforms to the school ethos
and values and is in the best interest of the pupils.
• Set high expectations and standards for the achievement of pupils and your
• Contribute as fully as possible to the annual calendar of school events, in
whatever way possible.
• Be familiar with recent developments in pedagogy and within your area of
• Approach task with a ‘can-do’ attitude and a willingness to take risks and try
our new ideas and approaches
• Be willing to accept others’ good ideas and share your opinions.
• Support the School Development Plan generally and in so far as it relates to
own area of expertise.
• Attend and participate fully in school staff development activities offered by the
school and the Wellington College China group.
• Holder of Bachelor Degree related to subject specialism
• Teaching certificate (such as PGCE)
• Native level English speaker
• Support for Huili Values and vision
A minimum of 2 years of teaching experience within the subject specialism at secondary
• Excellent subject knowledge
• Knowledge and experience of subject specialism at IGCSE and IB DP is an
• Be able to assess pupils’ interests, needs and developments
• Be able to develop curriculum
• Open, proactive, patient and caring
• International and bilingual school work experience is an advantagePlease submit CV and cover letter, together with an application form
(available to download from www.wellingtoncollege.cn/careers) in English and email to
Please note that any application with missing materials will not be considered.
Wellington College Shanghai is totally committed to safeguarding the welfare of children
and young people and expects the same from its employees. All new staff will be subject
to enhanced pre-employment clearance, including identity checks, criminal background
checks, qualifications checks and employment checks to include an exploration of any
gaps in employment.