Secondary Spanish teacher
Department Head, Head of School
In Junior High (KS3), all students study Spanish as a third language. Progress is rapid, as the
students are bright and hard working. Our students enjoying language learning and
appreciating the value of learning multiple languages. Currently, there is one IGCSE class in
Grade 9 (year 10) and one in Grade 10 (year 11) and we expect to have the same next year.
We also expect to be able to offer IBDP Spanish in grades 11 and 12. We are looking for an
enthusiastic practitioner who is passionate about language and able to teach to at least IGCSE
level. Experience of IBDP and/or A-Level would also be an advantage, as would the ability to
offer another language for after school clubs.
Teaching and Learning
• Set consistently high expectations and standards for all pupils.
• Contribute to the holistic wellbeing of all pupils and specifically to those assigned to
your individual care.
• Demonstrate and make all pupils aware of the Huili School vision statement, values
• Plan and deliver creative, engaging and well-planned lessons and units of work.
• Assess and report on pupil progress as per the school’s reporting calendar.
• Provide intervention, support and challenge to pupils in your care and liaise with
department leads as required.
• Participate in curriculum meetings and pastoral meetings with international and Chinese
teachers. Contribute ideas during discussions.
• Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of your own teaching, maintaining good
standards of practice and ensuring progression.
• Participate fully in the staff appraisal system, with classroom observation of colleagues
and a willingness to be personally observed within the classroom.
• Be involved in developing, implementing and monitoring all school policies.
• Provide opportunities for the community to be involved in pupils’ success.
• Build and maintain positive and constructive relationships with parents.
• Present and share information regarding the curriculum.
• Share pupil information provided by parents with other teachers as required.
• Communicate with parents on a regular basis, as directed by the department head and
the head of school.
• Attend parent meetings as required and provide accurate, honest information regarding
the progress of individuals and how they can develop event further.
• Maintain the highest standards of care, child protection and safeguarding at all times.
• Remain positive, professional and build good relationship with colleagues.
• Complete tasks on time.
• Provide cover for absent colleagues as and when deemed necessary by the head of
• Play a full role in the weekly co-curricular activities programme.
• Make a significant contribution to school assemblies, WeChat articles and newsletters,
and by so doing highlight the work carried out by pupils in the subject.
• Promote an ethos of equality and equal opportunities for all pupils within the setting.
• Protect the privacy of pupils, pupils’ families and colleagues.
• Maintain, with the rest of the teaching staff, high standards of conduct both in and out
of the classroom. Act always in a way that conforms to the school ethos and values and is in
the best interest of the pupils.
• Set high expectations and standards for the achievement of pupils and your personal
• Contribute as fully as possible to the annual calendar of school events, in whatever way
• Be familiar with recent developments in pedagogy and within your area of subject
• Approach task with a ‘can-do’ attitude and a willingness to take risks and try our new
ideas and approaches
• Be willing to accept others’ good ideas and share your opinions.
• Support the School Development Plan generally and in so far as it relates to own area
• Attend and participate fully in school staff development activities offered by the school
and the Wellington College China group.
• Holder of Bachelor Degree related to subject specialism
• Teaching certificate (such as PGCE)
• Native level English speaker
• Support for Huili Values and vision
A minimum of 2 years of teaching experience within the subject specialism at secondary school
• Excellent subject knowledge
• Knowledge and experience of subject specialism at IGCSE and IB DP is an advantage
• Be able to assess pupils’ interests, needs and developments
• Be able to develop curriculum
• Open, proactive, patient and caring
• International and bilingual school work experience is an advantage
Wellington College China schools are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare
of children. Assessment and testing of applicants’ suitability to work with children is an integral
part of the selection process.