- Address 8 Kehua Road, Shenzhen, China
Position: Student Support Specialist
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: August 2023
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
In 2018, we launched our Shenzhen campus, bringing our popular early childhood program from New York to China’s southern hub of innovation. Today, we are thrilled to have expanded our campus to serve students from two to 18 years of age.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Avenues: The World School seeks a student support specialist to join our Shenzhen campus. This role is responsible for ensuring that all students are effectively supported to thrive at Avenues. S/he will work closely with a student support team, as well as with the broader teaching and learning team, teachers and division leaders. As a member of Student Success Team, you will:
- Provide a safe, stimulating and supporting learning environment for all students to thrive and feel known and cared for
- Drive student success across all grades, by helping to develop individualized learning plans for students who need them, to support each student to learn through meaningful, engaging work
- Develop the right assessments for learning, that yield useful data for teachers to use to give appropriate feedback to maximize student growth
- Work with a great team, building strong relationships and collaborating intensively
- Be an exemplary learner, always reflecting, growing and seeking to improve
WHAT YOU BRING
- Superb ability as a teacher with more than 5 years of experience
- Deep understanding of discipline-specific expertise, either in math or literacy, within the context of a school environment and/or children
- Expertise in applying current assessments specific to your field that will best assess our students and that allow for clear referrals
- Experience teaching English, Math and/or Chinese literacy with clear evidence of student learning and growth
- Experience in special education and/or teaching students with learning differences with clear evidence of student learning and growth
- Profound commitment to ensuring and nurturing children’s wellbeing
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree in education or related field is ideal
- Professional fluency in English required; professional fluency in Chinese strongly preferred
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.