Job Title: Teaching Assistant – Early Years
Reports to: Head of Early Years and Co-teachers in the year group
Wellington College is committed to providing world-class educational opportunities in the city of Tianjin. We seek to recruit and develop staff members who are fully engaged with the stated vision of the school – [to] “aspire to create a caring, international community that develops well-rounded individuals with strong values and the skills to thrive within an ever-changing global society” and who are guided in their professional and personal conduct by the core Wellington values – courage, respect, integrity, kindness and responsibility. In this way, the post holder should regard the following outline of the job description not as a checklist of things to achieve, but as a starting point for their growth in the role.
Wellington College International Bilingual Tianjin Nursery provides pre-nursery to year one pupils with access to an education rooted in the strong values and progressive approach to learning synonymous with Wellington College. The school offers its pupils rigour and challenge throughout the journey through Early Years , largely mirroring the early years foundation stage and national curriculum in England, preparing them for success in KS2, KS3, iGCSEs and A Levels. This is the journey of a Wellingtonian.
Within a culture of shared vision, mutual respect, high academic standards, open communication and a commitment to best practice, the teachers at Wellington form an integral part of a close team determined to develop and evolve in their personal and professional development.
To work as part of the year group team and wider Nest team to support the learning, development and care of our children. At Wellington College Bilingual Tianjin we are striving to encourage children to be inspired, intellectual, independent, individual and inclusive.
1. Be willing to learn and understanding of the curriculum at a level which will assist effective teaching of basic skills.
2. To actively engage with young children’s learning and promote a joy of learning.
3. Strive to become increasingly effective in developing children’s language and access to learning.
4. Assist in the educational and social development of children under the direction and guidance of the Co Teachers.
5. Provide support for individual students inside and outside the classroom to enable them to fully participate in activities, while building their independent skills.
6. Support clear expectations of children’s behaviour in line with the Nest behaviour policy.
7. Play a key role in the safe supervision of children at all times, especially when accompanying children to specialist provision such as P.E., music or swimming.
8. Help to create and maintain a purposeful, organised and supportive environment for children to learn in.
9. Be able to engage young children in a variety of learning opportunities inside and outside.
10. Be able to work with children individually and in groups
11. Be able to communicate appropriately in Mandarin and English to colleagues and children
12. To demonstrate an ability for written communication in Mandarin and English
13. To be an active member of the team and be confident to contribute
Care and wellbeing of children
• To maintain the highest standard of care, child protection and safeguarding.
• To uphold the requirements of the intimate care policy when supporting very young children with toileting or changing nappies/diapers.
• To strive to build authentic relationships with children and their families.
Wider College Role
DISPLAY: to ensure that the children’s work is displayed and presented to the very highest standard in the classroom and throughout the school.
STAFF DEVELOPMENT: to participate in Staff Development and additional training and to attend staff meetings and briefings. Regularly engage in professional development opportunities and take pride in one’s own learning.
COLLEGE DEVELOPMENT: to support the College Development Plan so far as it relates to the early years and the continuing improvement of provision.
EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES: to assist where required in an activity or activities to enrich the College experience for the children. The After School Activities programme (ASA) takes place outside of the prescribed teaching hours as reasonably directed by the Head of Nest.MAJOR EVENTS IN THE COLLEGE CALENDAR: participation in all major events e.g. Open Mornings, Summer Fair, assemblies and Nest shows.
• Bachelor degree or above, education major is preferred
• One year relative experience or above is preferred;
• Fluency in English and Chinese;
• Be motivated, responsible, patient and honest, with good interpersonal skills.
Please note this position is subject to an enhanced Criminal Records Bureau Disclosure.
Wellington College International Tianjin is committed to equality and diversity. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.